5 strategic ways to improve your TikTok bio
Sign up for Mojo Teams and start creating professional content for all your business needs
When trying to grow your TikTok audience, your TikTok bio can make or break your conversion rates for gaining new followers.
But, what should you put in your TikTok bio to stand out? In this article, we’ll walk you through the TikTok bio fundamentals that need to get done - no matter what.
Then, we’ll go one step further with an extra 5 ways to improve your TikTok bio. These additional tips will turn your TikTok bio into a growth and lead gen workhorse!
In other words, your TikTok bio won’t just be about you - it will be about turning curious viewers into loyal followers who can get you on the best side of the TikTok algorithm so that you can continue to grow your audience!
TikTok bio fundamentals
There are a few fundamentals that everyone should know in order to optimize on their TikTok profile page. So, let’s make sure we’re all caught up by discussing them here.
- Your TikTok handle: Pick a username that is relevant and memorable. Try to make it easy to read, since it will be smashed into one word. If you want to add underscores to boost the readability of your handle, go for it.
- Your TikTok profile photo: Focus on using a clear picture without a lot of frills. No busy backgrounds, no faraway subjects, no awkward cropping. Some great TikTok profile photos could be your face, your logo or one of your products.
- Your TikTok link in bio: TikTok lets you have a single link on your profile. We suggest always using this space to drive followers to your website or into a funnel that directly supports your business.
- Your TikTok-Instagram connection: If you’re also on Instagram, make sure to cross-promote! Your TikTok followers will be more likely to follow you on Instagram if you make it easy for them to bounce over to your Instagram account. Don’t forget to do this. You already have people who like following you on TikTok, so they will be easier to convert with on other platforms.
Make sure all of these fundamentals are squared away. Now, let’s go one step further and dive into how to make your TikTok bio work for you.
5 ways to improve your TikTok bio
Now that we’ve covered our bases with the TikTok bio fundamentals, let’s discuss how to optimize your bio even further.
We’ll focus on the freeform bio section. (You know, the section that requires you to write something. Cringe!)
Don’t worry. We’ll help you create a bio that performs like a heavy-hitting headline. Our tips are designed to help you increase conversions - whether you’re funneling people to your website or growing your TikTok audience.
#1 - Summarize your account
When someone sees your content on the “For You” page, they’ll click into your TikTok account to see what you’re all about.
It’s essential that your entire TikTok profile is optimized to get that person to follow you. Use your freeform TikTok bio like a headline.
One of the most important things about a headline (in this case, your TikTok bio) is that it is clear. Someone should read your bio and instantly understand what kind of content they’ll see when they follow you.
#2 - Answer the question, “Why watch?”
You put a ton of time and effort into your TikTok videos. You're proud of what you do (and you should be).
But from a random follower’s perspective, your TikTok bio needs to explain why they should watch your content.
This can be hard to nail down, let alone write it in a compelling way. It’s all about the benefit you provide to your viewers.
Why should they watch your content? Here are some possible ideas to get the juices flowing:
- To enjoy belly-busting lunch break laughs
- To learn easy hairstyle hacks
- To be inspired every morning through meditation
- To learn new dance moves daily
- To stay up to date with Hollywood celebs
- To grow your own coaching business
- To feel confident in your DIY home reno
Obviously, your answer to the “why watch” question should fit your brand and your content. But as you can see from the examples above, your answer should be as specific as possible (and as short as possible to fit in your TikTok bio).
#3 - Add a CTA
A CTA or “call-to-action” tells people what you want them to do next. When someone comes to your TikTok profile, you may want them to watch your previous posts.
However, get a little more business savvy, and think about your overall TikTok marketing strategy.
Do you want to grow your TikTok audience with the hopes that your followers will become customers? Add a CTA in your bio to encourage them to buy your products. Do you have a funnel for your TikTok followers? Add a CTA that tells them to sign up for your freebie.
Always write your CTA with clear and simple language so that people aren’t confused. They’ll just bounce away if things get too complicated.
#4 - Don’t use words
At least, you don’t have to only use words. Emojis and special characters can help you save space and make your bio easier to read.
For example: If your account deals with food and travel, your TikTok bio could look like, “Foodie + Globetrotter.”
Or, if your products are made in the USA, use an American flag emoji for instant recognition. You’ll save several characters in your TikTok bio. You only get 80. An American flag emoji is one character, whereas “America” is seven.
#5 - State your USP
It’s not only important to answer the “why watch” question. Your TikTok bio should also answer this: Why should someone watch your TikTok videos, rather than other accounts like yours?
This is a question about your USP (AKA “unique selling proposition”). Use your TikTok bio as a way to state how your videos are unique to other accounts that post similar content.
Put your bio to work
It can be really hard to get all of that information in the 80-character TikTok bio limit. That’s why you should plan on revising your TikTok bio many times before it’s right.
With the right bio, it will be another effective strategy to get more TikTok followers.
Want more information about creating a successful TikTok? Check out our full list of TikTok blogs.
Looking to upgrade your social content? Subscribe to Mojo Pro today and get started!