Answers to Instagram's new messaging features
Sign up for Mojo Teams and start creating professional content for all your business needs
Earlier in 2022, Instagram released new messaging features to improve the overall user experience and interaction with friends.
Things that were once a bit cumbersome have now been streamlined to keep you scrolling and interacting quickly.
In this post, we’ll talk about these new Instagram features for messaging, what they do and how to enable them on your app.
FAQs about new Instagram message features (answered)
If you haven’t started using these new Instagram features, get some of your FAQs answered right here.
We’ll talk about what features to try, how to enable them and why they were created in the first place.
What new Instagram features have been introduced in messages?
Instagram released several new features in 2022. You may notice that some of these features may have already been available to you, depending on your smartphone.
Now, these Instagram features are available on all types of devices. Later on in this post, we’ll talk about how to access these features on the app.
Here is a list of what’s new on Instagram:
- Share music previews: Send a 30-second preview of a song in the DMs. This new Instagram feature uses integrations from certain apps like Apple Music. The recipient can listen to it right in the chat, rather than hopping off to Spotify or Apple Music.
- Send silent messages: Responding to your friend at 1AM but don’t want to wake them? Now you can send your message silently. They’ll see it when they wake up, rather than being disturbed by a blaring notification.
- See who is online now: Inspired by Facebook Messenger, you can now scroll through and see who’s online right now. Just tap and start messaging!
- Reply to DMs while you scroll: Previously, if you got a DM, you had to jump off the Feed or Explore page and reply in the DMs. Now, a new Instagram feature allows you to quickly reply when a DM notification pops up. No need to lose your place in the Feed!
- Share posts to friends: Instagram is chock full of amazing content that you want your friends to see. Now, you can share a meme quickly to a small group of close friends, rather than scrolling through everyone each time.
- Create a group poll: Want a quick way to tally up your group’s opinions? Use the new polling Instagram feature. Figure out what restaurant to go to by listing out your top choices and taking a vote.
- Enable the lo-fi chat theme: You may have already chosen your DM theme to be a light or dark background. Now, you can choose the lo-fi theme. It’s almost like a skin for your entire DM section on Instagram. Lo-fi is filled with relaxing colors and visuals you’ll probably love.
Have you seen any of these yet? Have you started using them already? Some of the features are still in the process of being finalized, but may have some functionalities right now.
Keep reading below to learn more about how to work these new features!
Why did Instagram update their messaging features?
In pursuit of a better and more seamless user experience, Instagram introduced these features earlier this year.
Even though you can connect with nearly anyone on Instagram, the goal of adding these features is to improve communication between you and your close friends.
These Instagram features are also meant to keep you on the Instagram app. So if you love Instagram, you’ll enjoy these features to the fullest!
How do I enable the new chat features on Instagram?
Many of these Instagram features will be available to you once you update the app. If you don’t see some of these features, they may not be available to everyone at the moment.
Social media platforms like to receive feedback from small sects of users before opening up to the entire community.
How do you work the new messaging features on Instagram?
If you need a playbook for how to use these new Instagram features, we’ve got you covered! Here is how to use each of the new features:
- How to share music previews as a DM: For this, you’ll actually start outside of the Instagram app. Go to a music app like Apple Music. Share a link to the song, and paste it into a DM chat. The recipient will get a 30-second preview.
- How to send silent messages: Type your DM response as you normally would. All you have to add is “@silent” anywhere in the text. It’ll send straight away without bothering them.
- How to chat with people who are online now: If you see that someone on your friend’s list is online in the DMs, just click on their profile picture at the top of the DMs. You’ll be able to chat with them right away.
- How to do a quick reply to DMs while scrolling: When someone sends you a message in the DMs, you’ll be notified at the top of the screen. All you have to do is click on the banner and respond right then and there. Once you hit send, you’ll go back to viewing the Feed or Explore page as you were.
- How to share posts with friends: All you have to do is tap and hold the Share button. A small selection of close friends will appear. Just drag your finger to someone’s profile picture to share a post.
- How to create a group poll with friends: Go to an existing group chat. Click on the plus icon and open up the stickers tab. You’ll be able to click on “Poll” as a sticker. Then, create your poll, list the options and send. Others will be able to vote and input more options as well.
- How to choose the lo-fi chat theme: It’s really simple! Just open up your DMs and click on the circular Info button in the top right. Next, navigate to your Chat Settings and go to Theme. Choose lo-fi and watch your DMs transform!
Make your Instagram even more spectacular
Luckily, all of these features are fairly easy to set up and use on the app.
If you love Instagram and want to make the most out of our account, check out some of our top Instagram articles:
Looking to upgrade your social content? Subscribe to Mojo Pro today and get started!